Re: Placing Cookies Using OWAS 3.0

From: <staylor_at_petrolsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:16:33 GMT

In article <6rj4l4$f5a$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> > I'm creating a web application which will have a login. I prompt the user
> > for their login and password using a form, and then send that to a
procedure.
> > In the procedure, I check a table in the database and compare the login and
> > password. If correct, I send a cookie to the user, and then call one of two
> > main menus. Which menu procedure I call depends on the attributes of the
> > user. In one menu, I just return some links, but in the other menu I do a
> > select statement using the cookie I had just placed.
> >
> > Well, with the non-cookie menu, I have no problem. But, when I try to
> > load the menu which calls the cookie, I get an error. After MUCH
debugging, I
> > have managed to narrow down the problem:
> >
> > It seems that there is a delay time between the placement of a cookie and
> > the ability to access it.
>
> I have the exact same problem, I just tell the users to reload their page.
> I wonder if this is an oracle WAS problem.
> A solution may be to tell the browser to commit. but how would you do that?
>
> If you do find a soultion please post on this group

Heya,

  Well, I think I found a solution, although not the best one I think. I just created a temp splash screen that pops up between the login screen and the main menu where I want to use the cookie. I went to an Oracle Support webpage, and they stated that a placed cookie is not available until the next request by the browser. So, the splash screen makes that intermediate request. Here's the code:

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Mobil Online: Please Wait...</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5;

URL=http://psoft201.petrolsoft.com/owa_dba/plsql/webvru.inv_man_menu">
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>
<BR><BR><BR>
<CENTER>
<TABLE BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=0>
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN=2>
<CENTER>
<B>Mobil Online is retrieving your record...</B><P>
<FONT SIZE=-1>This can take up to several seconds.<BR> Please be patient!
</FONT><BR><BR>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>