Re: Oracle8 - copying a database.

From: Hakan <nvcinc_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:38:02 -0400

Hi,

You can use export/import utilities. This is the easiest way. The following info is from Oracle Docummentation. You can use Export and Import to accomplish the following tasks:

     move data between Oracle databases, even if the databases are on different systems or platforms

     move data from one tablespace or schema to another
     repartition data in tables
     store definitions of database objects (such as tables, clusters, and
indexes) with or without the data
     archive inactive data or store temporary data
     store Oracle data in operating system files outside a database
     upgrade to new releases of Oracle
     back up entire Oracle databases or back up only tables whose data changed
since the last export, using an incremental export or a cumulative export
     selectively back up parts of a database in a way that requires less
storage space than a system backup
     restore a database by importing from incremental or cumulative exports
     restore tables that were dropped, if they had been exported previously
     move data between older and newer versions or releases of Oracle
     save space or reduce fragmentation on the platform used by the Oracle
database

To use Export, you must have the CREATE SESSION privilege on an Oracle database. To export tables owned by another user, you must have the EXP_FULL_DATABASE role enabled. This role is granted to all DBAs.

If you do not have the system privileges contained in the EXP_FULL_DATABASE role, you cannot export objects contained in another user's schema. For example, you cannot export a table in another user's schema, even if you created a synonym for it.

The above is true for import as well.

Regards

Hakan