Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Barry L. Wallis <Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com>
Date: 1998/08/20

Anthony Mandic wrote in message
<35DBDB43.19ED4C35_at_agd.nsw.gov.au hormel.free>...

Hi Anthony,

>Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>>
>> Actually, your statement is not true. Oracle has at least 4 different
 databases:

>> 1) Oracle RDBMS: The flagship Oracle relational database product that
 runs on more
>> machines than you would care to number.
>
> I think you really meant to say it "runs on less machines than anyone
 over
> the age of 6 would care to count up to".

'nuff said.

>> 2) Oracle Rdb: Database engine purchased from Digital Equipment
 Corporation. This
>> one only runs on Windows NT, OpenVMS and Digital UNIX. It is
 generally more
>> robust in a production systems environment (at least compared
 Oracle7) and IMHO
>> can be tuned to run better than the Oracle RDBMS (on those
 platforms where it
>> runs).
>
> So what you're claiming is that DEC's Rdb is better than Oracle's
 RDBMS?

It obviously depends on what you mean by better, right? I believe it is faster and more robust in terms of attributes that matter for large scale transaction processing and production systems in general.

>> 3) Oracle Express: Server for Data Warehouses.
>>
>> 4) Oracle DBMS: CODASYL DBMS purchased from Digital Equipment
 Corporation.

> Another DEC purchase. Look like Larry Ellison must really like DEC
> products. I wonder if there's a message in that for all of us.

What Ellison bought was people. The Rdb Engineering team is one of the best in the business. It is my belief that now that the team is paired with the best selling database, we will see Oracle take great strides in bringing their database up to the level of their hype.

>> My suggestion is that people use the right tool for the right job and
 be careful
>> when comparing apples and orangutans.
>
> And what is the right tool for the right job?

Now that depends on the job, doesn't it? For some jobs a plain old sequential file will do the trick, for others you might need something else.

And speaking of the right job; I'm looking to build a performance testing team for a project in San Diego, if you know anyone.

--
Barry L. Wallis, Senior Systems Engineer
4161 Campus Point Court

voice: (619) 646-9891, fax: (619) 646-9327
mailto: Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com