Re: Database cloning

From: Glen Upreti <glen.upreti_at_nau.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:55:21 -0700

I have cloned a few dbs so far and the method of my choice is to get a create control file script and copy the datafiles of a db that is down and run the script after making modifications.

I draw back to this is that contrary to everthing that oracle says, the name of the db is written to all of the db headers, so there for to bring the clone up you must bring the original down otherwise you get an error that the original db has the clone db's datafiles mounted. If you create the clone on another machine you will not have this problem. In addition the only time you get this error is at creation time of the clone, because the clone first needs to mount the datafiles and write to the headers.

I also called oracle because of this and they were supposed to fax me their procedure for cloning and the faxed me the wrong doc.

Email me if you have any questions.
Glen Upreti
Oracle DBA
Northern Arizona University