Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager not included with UNIX version?

From: R.A. Khan <khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:17:08 +0200

Jerry Gitomer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the other hand, I have four Oracle servers and find that having a
> cheap computer with Enterprise Manager from which I can manage all four
> of my servers to be a real convenience -- Especially since the servers
> are not in the same building and I don't like going outside when it is
> too hot or too cold or to ... :-)
>
> regards
>
> Jerry
>
> R.A. Khan wrote:
> >

> > Yes, i installed as well Oracle8 on Digital Unix and where searching for
> > several Days for the Enterprise Manager. I couldn't imagine, there

> Now i have to look up an mantain not only one system, not only two but as
> >
> > well on two Different Operating System's for managing *one* Database ?
> > Hehehe. After Laughing i asked Oracle if this was intented to be a joke :
> > "Come on Boys, tell me, were is the Enterprise Manager on Digital Unix ?"
> >
> > The Reaction was not so funny. To come to an conclusion :
> >
> > There is only a NT-Manager for Oracle8 running on Digital Unix.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > --
> > Dipl. Ing. Ronald Ali-Khan

Yes, but even if you have a Manager on a Unix Machine you should be able to manage remote Databases. So why have a Manager on a second, third, or fourth OS ?

And besides that, forgive me my ignorance, there is something that is less complicated to install (if you haven't got it already) like this SQLNET.

With Oracle, a company which is making together with Sun so much rumour about the NC and Java, why they don't just write one Manager in Java ?? Most of the OS'ses have already Java (include mine), and if not, it is easy to install. It runs on several Machine's, and you would not have the Problem's in first installing a Protokoll you don't need (SQLNET) to connect to the server.

Or should i programm the function i need by myself ?

Regards,

--
Dipl. Ing. Ronald Ali-Khan
khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de