Re: Retrieving images from PLSQL Catridge in OWS

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/08/19

Hi Prasad

> I am trying to retrieve images from the database table to display on the web
> page. The column is defined as long raw and successfully inserts and
> displays images from forms. I'm using PL/SQL catridge on web server 3.0.1.
> on NT.
>
> If somebody already successfully implemented this, please guide me in right
> direction.

Is there a specific reason to put the pages in the database? The only advantage that I have heard about is that you have transactional control of inserts, ie you can do rollbacks.

Logic dictates that pulling an image out of a database as opposed to off the file system will consume significantly less proccessing time, and maybe even io time.

Also the Web Server has the ability to cache directories, which also probably speeds things up.

The way you could implement your system is to have a images directory that is mapped by the web server. When you insert/upload/copy an image into this directory insert a record into the database with its name and web server mapped directory.

eg /images/picture1.jpg/

then in your code read the above data into a variable and use the htp.img procedure to show the image

Hope this helps