Re: SQL*Net tuning - what's reasonable for response times

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:41:24 GMT

Well....since your statement "The multi-threaded server can't be enabled on NT" doesn't specify which version of the Oracle database either, someone (a newbie to Oracle) might think this means that there is *no* version of Oracle that supports MTS on Windows NT. This is false.

I have no source of amazement. I am just attempting to correct any misinformation.

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:57:23 -0400, "Craig M. Wall" <cwall_at_petersons.com> wrote:

>The original post didn't specify what version of the database he's using
>and since most sites on NT are still on 7.x
>which CAN NOT support MTS
>my post is valid so...
>what's your source of amazement?
>

>Joel R. Kallman wrote in message
><35db1da0.27280397_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>...
>>Wow!!! So I guess the Oracle8 Database Assistant that comes with
>>Oracle8 8.0.4 on Windows NT is incorrect when it asks you if you want
>>to set up a database using Multi-Threaded Server.
>>
>>As well, pages 2-8 and B-5 from "Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Getting
>>Started" manual for Oracle8 8.0.4 on Windows NT probaly doesn't make
>>sense then when they refer to using MTS on Windows NT.
>>
>>Here is an excerpt from a support note within Oracle:
>>
>>"Note that Oracle8 will support 3GB of user address space on
>>NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Since Oracle8 will also support
>>the Multi-Threaded Server (MTS), the number of threads in the
>>Oracle process will not need to be so high and thus there will
>>not need to be such a large amount of virtual address space
>>for the threads' stacks."
>>
>>So....it is wholly inaccurate to say that Oracle MTS cannot be used on
>>Windows NT.
>>

>>On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:11:03 -0400, "Craig M. Wall"
>><cwall_at_petersons.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Umh...
>>>The multi-threaded server can't be enabled on NT.
>>>Something about Oracle already being multi-threaded on that OS.
>>>So that won't help.
>>>But then again, is there really a problem?
>>>I've heard people complain of 20, 30 and even 60 seconds for
>>>SQL*Net connect times but not 4.
>>>Are all those 119 highwater users coming in over the same
>>>network card and IP address?
>>>If so, that may be the bottleneck.
>>>Investigate subnetting the network so that blocks of users
>>>come in over dedicated ethernet cards.
>>>NT 4.0 can't handle multi-homing, which is what
>>>will occur if more than one network card is connected
>>>to the same network (hence the subnetting approach).
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Craig M. Wall
>>>

>>>Joel R. Kallman wrote in message
>>><35dabacb.1979185_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>...

>>Thanks!
>>
>>Joel
>>
>>Joel R. Kallman
>>Oracle Government, Education, & Health
>>Columbus, OH http://govt.us.oracle.com
>>jkallman@us.oracle.com http://www.oracle.com
>>
>>----
>>The statements and opinions expressed here are my own
>>and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Aug 19 1998 - 15:41:24 CDT