Hot Standby Database & alternatives

From: Andy Moorhouse <andy_moorhouse_at_gre-group.e-mail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:44:47 GMT

Hi all. My company want me to implement some form of hot standby for an Oracle 7.3 database between 2 RS/6000s. I have read about the hot standby feature in the Admin manual, but it is not very detailed. How do people go about automatically copying the archived redo logs from one machine to another? How are they "applied" to the standby database? Is it possible to force a redo log switch every 10 minutes or so? It would be useful to hear people's experiences with Hot Standby.

I am also confused about testing the procedure. Is it true that once you have switched over to the standby db, your original one is no good, and you have to re-copy the standby database onto the live machine? Surely not, I hope I have misunderstood this!

Lastly, are there any alternative commercial packages which would let me keep a database (and possibly normal Unix files) in sync across a live & backup machine?

Thanks, Andy Moorhouse, Guardian Insurance. Received on Wed Aug 19 1998 - 10:44:47 CDT