Re: Can Developer/Designer 2000 apps use ODBC

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 1998/08/18

Yes.... Both Forms and Reports can use ODBC connections :

In the form/report properties set the connection string to ODBC:ODBC_DataSOURCENAME

It works just like a SqlNet connection, only slower---much slower....

Note : this still requires that SqlNet be available to the Client since ODBC uses it ( like all ODBC, it needs the underlying dlls to make the connection)

I'm not sure if Designer2000 can, since the access to the repository may require a native SqlNet connection -----

RecordSecurity <recordsecurity_at_poorva.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Can Oracle Developer 2000, Designer 2000, SQL*Forms, and other Oracle
>tools use ODBC connectivity to a dataserver. Or are they strictly Net*8
>protocol based?
>
>We have a unique database security product that offers record-level
>security (http://www.poorva.com) that works for ODBC/JDBC applications.
>It does not work for any Oracle application that uses SQL*Net or Net*8
>protocol, because Oracle doesn't seem to provide a middleware solution
>to intercept SQL*Net requests.
>
>There is prospect that is interested in finding out if we can provide
>record-level security for Designer/Developer 2000 apps, and I am not
>sure if they can use ODBC connectivity in their applications.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Shree Aragula
>Poorva, Inc.
>408.260.2632
>mailto:recordsecurity_at_poorva.com
>http://www.poorva.com

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Tue Aug 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT