Bitmap Indexes

From: Roman Gelfand <rgelfand_at_masmid.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:09:44 -0400

Platform - windows nt 4.0
Oracle - 7.3.4.0.0

I had created a bitmap index on a field which has a very low cardinality. I enabled all initialization parameters affected by the bitmap index. When I do a select which searches bitmap indexed column, the explain shows me that a full table scan was done.

create bitmap index rmn_x1 on secm(security_status);

select sec_no, sec_shortcode where security_status = 'C';

Rows Execution Plan

      0  SELECT STATEMENT   GOAL: CHOOSE
   9837 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF 'SECM' Received on Tue Aug 18 1998 - 22:09:44 CDT