Re: Current Demands: Oracle or MS SQL?

From: <Ben_W_McEwan_at_keybank.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:38:49 GMT

In article <6r7q9s$d6r$1_at_hecate.umd.edu>,   lcl_at_Glue.umd.edu (Li-Chung Liu) wrote:
> I have taken a database design course already,
> and hope to further my study either in MS SQL
> or ORACLE.
>
> My main concern is how much demands are out
> there for each of two. There are probably
> advantages for each over the other, but that
> is not my main focus. I wish to study the
> one that is and hopefully continue to be
> in demand.

Anybody with DBA skills with either platform is in very high demand right now. This has been the case for at least the last 4 years, when I got into it, and by all measures the market will continue to improve. Both are popular databases and are spurring lots of employment.

I wouldn't put much stock in the fellow who thinks SQL Server will be a flooded field in the next few months. If this were going to happen, it would have happened two years ago when 6.0 came out. Good DBAs for Oracle and MS SQL are expensive and rare- be either, and you're golden.