Re: Does Database Recovery really work?

From: Winnie Liu <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:31:50 -0700

I don't think you can backup your physical file under noarchive log mode when the database is up and running. The header of that file may got updated in the middle of your backup. The data block in that file may got changed in the middle of the backup. Even if you are running under archive log mode, you still need to issue the alter tablespace <..> begin backup to put the tablespace to the backup mode so that the header of the file will not get updated during the hotbackup period!!

Okey.. I guess the reason that you can open the database and running is probably because of the header of the system01.dbf file is very recent and there are enough online redo log file to recover the database. For example, the header of your system01.dbf file from backup has log number 101. And the sequence number in your control file is 103. And you have the redo101.log and redo102.log and redo103.log files in your system. You can probably issue the recover database command to recover the database and open it. Since oracle will only check the header of all the datafiles and make sure that they are current and on sync and then you can open the database. But it does not guarantee that your datablock is not corrupt.

Winnie