shutdown of database

From: Jim Poe <jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:02:24 -0700

This morning I attempted to apply the 8.0.4.0.2 patch to our Oracle Windows NT 4.0 server. The first instruction was to shutdown all services before applying the patch. I went to the Control Panel, selected the OracleServerAgent service and clicked on STOP. It took about 2 minutes to stop. I then selected the first of 5 databases, OracleServiceDEVL, and clicked on STOP. I watched the hourglass for appoximately 4 minutes and then tried to bring up the NT Task Manager. The computer was bound up. I could not do anything except set focus on the NT Explorer window or the Services window. Eventually, the system would not repaint the windows. We had to hard boot the system. Now we are down because we lost an NT dll.

None of the databases were being accessed.

My question is, did I shutdown the database incorrectly?

--
Jim Poe
<jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com>