Re: Help With INIT.ORA

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:47:51 +0200

Looked into this myself in the past briefly. Two conclusions:
Oracle will discover the dual processor automatically (and change to cpu_count parameter when you look at show parameter in server manager). Parallelization in this case is more or less automatic. As you need to specify the minimum and maximum number of cpus involved, I don't see much in trying to do this with only two cpu's. And my query paths proved to be getting worse because the parallels intermediate results need to be combined afterwards, which means an extra pass. The following book
Guy Harrison Oracle High Performance Tuning published by Prentice Hall covers parallel query in depth

Hth

Sybrand Bakker