Re: [Q] Can you shrink tablespaces?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_nospam_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:14:20 GMT

In article <01bdc6d8$a58a9400$a504fa80_at_mndnet>, "Oracleguru" <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com> wrote:
>I don't know if the command that you have given will work or not.
>
>But this will definitely work:
>
>alter database datafile '/u1/.../.../...' resize XXM;

Just be aware that you will get problems if you ever want or need to use the command

Create Controlfile ...
  datafile '...

(e.g. to increase maxdatafiles) if any of your datafiles have been shrunk to less their initial size. It's OK if you resized them to be larger, but if they're smaller, Oracle balks and you can't mount the database.

It may be fixed in Oracle 8, I haven't tried it yet. Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 11:14:20 CDT