Rollback Segments

From: <calberto_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:26:39 GMT

Hi all!

I'm having problems with rollback segments in Oracle. We, in our company, have an long-running application (about 3 hours) which after 2 hours give us the following message :

ORA 01555 - Snapshot too old .....

The server currently has 16 rollback segments, which one with the following parameters :

INITIAL - 50K
NEXT - 50K
OPTIMAL - DEFAULT (I suppose Oracle's default is NULL) MINEXTENTS - 2
MAXEXTENTS - 121 Is the solution increase the NEXT parameter?

Beyond this, I have some doubts :

  1. I have manually put all these segments online, but when the machine rebooted (for other reasons), Oracle have put some of them offline. Why?
  2. Since my OPTIMAL parameter is the default, when Oracle will release the extents of the segments?
  3. All these rollback segments are in one tablespace which has 2 datafiles of 20 MB each, but there is only 2 MB free. Is this related with the problem?

We have Oracle 7.3 running on NT 4.0.

Thank in advanced,

Carlos