Re: Current Demands: Oracle or MS SQL?

From: EXE <exe_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:38:36 -0700

> Hi everyone, I am a computer science major who is interested going
> into database after BS. I have taken a database design course already,
> and hope to further my study either in MS SQL or ORACLE.
>
> My main concern is how much demands are out there for each of two.
> There are probably advantages for each over the other, but that is not
> my main focus. I wish to study the one that is and hopefully continue
> to be in demand.

I suspect that they will both continue to be in demand for the forseeable future whatever that is in technology these days. Neither Bill, nor Larry, is going to pull their product off the market anytime soon.

Let me rephrase your question and answer the new one.

"If I am going to invest thousands of hours in learning a SQL RDBMS which one will provide me with the largest return on investment?"

To this question I would answer Oracle and DB/2. Microsoft's SQL Server, at least at this juncture doesn't even have basic RDBMS functionality such as record locking (oh yeah they've promised it in the "next" version.). When Microsoft finally gets version 7 of this clunker on the market everyone that thinks Access is a database will put SQL Server on their resume; the market will be flooded. The compensation will be one-half that for Oracle or DB/2. Another solid choice for ROI is Teradata though it is harder to find employment opportunitites.

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 01:38:36 CDT