Re: instances question

From: Jason Archambeau <jason.archambeau_at_mci2000.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 14:52:34 GMT

Lawrence,

        It appears that you may be confused with the ideas of 'Databases' and what Oracle calls 'Schemas'. If you already have an Instance or oracel runninng on your server (that is, the OS processes, the allocated shared memory, the databases files, etc..) that the Oracle installer helped create, the you can make any number of 'Schemas' that you desire. A Schema is basically a collection of tables, views, indexes, etc.. that make up what most people call thier 'Database'. In truth, these are useally only the objects that relate to a particular application. The 'Database' is your Oracle instance. The Schemas are the various users and their various objects in your database. Each 'Database' you have is identified by an ORACLE_SID while the schemas are identified at a basic level with internal users of your SID.

        Now, if you want to start another instance (that is, you want a whole new set of OS processes and stuff to use (i.e. a new ORACLE_SID)), you will have to issue a CREATE DATABASE command from Server Manager or a similiar product. For Solaris 2.x, you will also have to go back and create additional directories for the OS objects (like datafiles, control files, redo logs, init.ora files, and such) that this new SID will need. For example:

        Lets say your initial database had an ORACLE_SID of "my_db". Om Solaris, you
 most likely have a directory (If you followed OFA - Oracle Flexible Architecture) like:

        /oracle/app/oracle/admin/my_db/pfile - this contains your 'initmy_db.ora' file

If you are going to add another ORACLE_SID called 'new_db', you would need to create
another directory (just like in the first install) called:

        /oracle/app/oracle/admin/new_db/pfile - for the new 'initnew_db.ora' file

Everyplace on the server that you had to specify an ORACLE_SID, you will have to create an additional directory for the new ORACLE_SID.

Also, you will need new Database files for every tablespace in the new SID (system, rollback, temp, users, tools, etc....)

Good Luck

Jason

lawrence <moments_at_eudoramail.com> wrote in article <35CB2C48.D98BE5D7_at_eudoramail.com>...