Re: Starting Database using Cron

From: James Tong <jtong15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:52:32 -0700

mjain_at_bigfoot.com wrote:

> ---Scenario specified in original question-----Start--
>
> We are using Sun450 and Oracle 8.0.4, Sun Solaris 2.6. We are in process
>
> of buying
>
> a UPS for this machine. So in mean time we bring up the databae through
>
> Server Manager
>
> after we turn on the machine in the morning. I would appreciate if
>
> someone could help me
>
> in "Creating a Cron Job" to call a script which will call server
>
> manager. This way Oracle gets loaded as soon as the machine gets turn
>
> on or shutting a down when we want to turn
>
> off the machine. Thanks in advance.

Look for more information about /etc/oratab and /etc/inittab.

In /etc/oratab, it should indicate what databases to be startup automatically when the operating system starting up, called by a command in /etc/inittab, i.e., "rc.local" or "rc2". The command file contains:

	 su - oracle "-c $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart
         su - oracle "-c $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start

The Oracle Installation Guide has these information.

To have better protection or consistency in your database, shutdown your database before turn off the power of your computer. Received on Sun Aug 16 1998 - 04:52:32 CDT