Re: ORACLE guru needed to answer Spatial Cartridge question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:20:14 GMT

Assuming this is Oracle 8:
Could you give us some clues about

  1. The number of roads in the map
  2. The number of points you use to map the roads
  3. The number of point per row you store in a line segment
  4. The granularity of the map e.g. typical number of quads per road, typical number of line-segments per quad
  5. The type of queries you are issuing.
  6. which part of the process you found to be particularly slow.

personally I am not convinced that the Spatial Cartridge is terribly useful, it is also very slow because it is a 'one-row-at-a-time' PL/SQl
package; however, for some very limited requirements it could be set up
to work reasonably effectively.

Jonathan Lewis

Scott A Baxter <sbaxter_at_c031.aone.net.au> wrote in article <6r3pnq$glg$1_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>...
> I am trying to evaluate the Spatial Cartridge to store road maps. I
found it
> to be very slow. If you can’t define every possible query window
beforehand
> then how is it usable.
>
> I performed the following steps:
> - Built the object layer tables
> - Built window layer tables
> - Built query window object
> - I then combine the query window object with my other objects.
This