RE: Forms 4.5 question ( Query by form)

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 15 Aug 1998 02:16:34 GMT

>Hi all
>I wonder if anyone can help, I am trying to write a form that will take a
>search string and does an auto execute according to the search string, so if
>I enter the latter 'A' it will automatically select in the form all the
>records beginning with the letter 'A', and if I enter 'B' which makes the
>search string 'AB' it will select only these records beginning with 'AB' and
>so on.
>p.s the execution will have to be done automatically without the press of
>any buttons.
>can any one point me in the right direction.

Have a non-DB field on the form. When the user clicks in it, start a timer with a 1 or 1.5 second period,and save the current contents of the field. When the timer expires, see if the contents have changed. If so, goto record 1, loop through the the rest of the records until you find a record whose value is greater than the input value, then stop. This only works if the order by matches the search criteria.

I have implemented this on a Pentium 200, 64Meg RAM, with 1500 records, and response is very good - faster than you type. You may have to play with the criteria to decide when to stop...I remember it took me a few tries to get it to stop at the "right" place, especially going backwards...

DanHW Received on Fri Aug 14 1998 - 21:16:34 CDT