Re: Auto-querying in a form - Newbie Question

From: Mark Styles <lambicm_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:06:45 GMT

Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:58:29 -0700, Greg Williams <greg.williams_at_lambdaconsulting.com> rambled:
>What I'd like to be able to do is: Pass :GLOBAL.code into this form,
>and programmatically query CODE based on :GLOBAL.code.
>A statement such as -
>SELECT * FROM CO_CODE_BLOCK
>WHERE CODE = :GLOBAL.code;
>does not work, but is exactly what I need.
>
>I need to know the text for a WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE trigger on that
>particular field that will automatically query the database.

First of all, if you're using Forms 4 or higher, I would suggest looking at using parameters rather than globals.

WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE is the wrong trigger to use.

One way to execute the query when the form is called is to have something like the following in a WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger:

set_block_property('MY_BLOCK',DEFAULT_WHERE,

                               'code = :global.code');
execute_query;

You may not even need the set block property, you could just define the default where in the block properties if the form is only used for this purpose.

Mark Styles
Spam my account, lose your account. Clear enough? Religious tolerance is an oxymoron. Received on Fri Aug 14 1998 - 10:06:45 CDT