Re: Dates in Oracle.. a Y2K question....

From: Oracleguru <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:00:14 GMT

Joel,

I agree, but is that the case though ?

There are lots of contributors such as Thomas Kyte, Andeas Prusch and you that give good detailed answers but is it your hobby or is it the company that you work for that wants you to do it. I don't have that luxury..

Anyway I have learned a lot from this news group and I appreciate and enjoy the details that you guys give very much.

But, then again, I have seen answers like "create database link" or "look in a certain manual". I don't give answers like that. But you cannot avoid that. If I have details and it does not take too much time I will give it.

I still believe what I said. Again most of us have enough experience to take the ball and run, otherwise we will not come to this newsgroup, because lot of answers will not make any sense to a Newbie.

By the way, here is an example of an answer that you posted. Did it really answer the question? I did not get the impression that you knew Oracle financials. May be there is another way to defragment Oracle financials tablspaces which may contain certain types of tables. Again I don't know.

>I am new at the role of the DBA and I have no prior experiences with
Oracle.
>We have Oracle Financal applications and I was wondering what I need to do
>when I am ready to defragment a tablespace. An example: GLDX tablespace
needs
>defragmented. What are the necessary steps I could take?

There are a number of answers to the question, all of them beginning with get some DBA training.

The classic way to defrag an oracle tablespace is to use the exp/imp utility.
The expensive/cool way is to buy a utility. The choice depends on how big your database is and your budget and time constraints.

See the section "Reducing Database Fragmentation" in the Oracle Server Utilities Guide, but remember you really don't have to blow away the entire database.

I've put together a list of links you might browse to find things like FAQs, at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/oracleln.htm

You might also consider using dejanews and altavista to search for the answer
before posting. Between that and the manuals we can then answer the question
using the same definition of defragment, perhaps. For example, I just searched
for "Oracle defragment tablespace" at http://www.altavista.digital.com, and saw Oracle FAQ: Third Party Admin Tools, among other things.

If you don't have a browser, your life as a DBA will be tough. No training,
tougher.

In general, you might want to put the versions of software you are asking about in your question, it often makes a difference.

Regards

Oracleguru

Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org> wrote in article <slrn6t6sv3.3ns.joelga_at_pebble.org>...
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:40:04 GMT, Oracleguru <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
wrote:
> >I must say that you have done your homework and expressed details very
> >clearly. I was sloppy, but IMHO this forum is not for explaining every
> >thing about each aspect of a subject. The poster of a question is
supposed
> >to take the ball and run when the question is answered. Most of us do
not
> >take too much time away from our regular job to answer questions in this
> >forum. What I try to do is cut and paste from my notes on a subject and
if
> >I do have a script I post that too. I do not explain some obvious
aspects
> >either.
>
> This forum is actually pretty good about giving details. If you are
going
> to cut and paste answers that don't really answer the question, expect
people
> to point that out. Your answer should be directed to the questioner,
which
> may mean if you are answering a simple question, you may have to explain
the
> obvious. If you are going to use a moniker that creates high
expectations,
> you have to deal with the consequences of that, too, which may mean being
> held to a higher level of quality. Hell, just being a DBA means you
aren't
> allowed to make human miss-steaks [sic].
>

> >Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl> wrote in article
> ><6qsr6a$aiq$1_at_newton.a2000.nl>...
>
> >> True. Until we change from 2049 to 2050. Users who by then are used to
> >> entering 49 for 2049 will suddenly notice that 49 yields 2149 as of
the
> >> system date 2050...
> >******Most companies do not want to spend money for the event that far
in
> >future. Be practical. How ******about year 10000, 100000 ? In year
2050
> >I plan to be the Chief DBA on St. Peter's project team
> >******figuring out database for trillions or is it zillions of names,
> >indexes, openspaces not tablespaces, ******parent-child relationships
etc.
> >and it may not be even Oracle. Just joking. The technology
******changes
> >so fast, the system in operation today will be definitely replaced in 20
> >years by something ******better I hope.
>
> Now _that_ misses the entire lesson Y2K teaches!
>

> >Oracleguru
> >www.oracleguru.net
> >oracleguru_at_mailcity.com
>
> jg
> --
> These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
or
> Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com
mailto:jgarry_at_nospameiq.com
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to