Re: Delete without Rollback ?

From: Joseph A. Knapka <jak_spam_me_not_at_jhk.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:03:57 -0400

Just out of curiosity, what is your motivation for storing realtime data in the DB? My firm has had some disappointing experiences with this sort of thing (CPU utilization on the database server pegged @ 100%; extremely sluggish network [since the data was being delivered to the server via TCP/IP]; transaction logs that filled their physical devices a couple times a day). We eventually decided that only 5-minute aggregate data needed to be in the RDBMS, and the per-second stuff now gets aggregated by a local process and loaded into the DB periodically.

If you really do need to have all that data in the RDBMS, it may be advisable to collect realtime data to a flat file, then periodically load it up using SQL Loader in "direct" mode, which omits a lot of the overhead of online transactions.

--

* Joseph Knapka / Systems Engineer / TransCore, an SAIC company
* voice://(770)447-6831/3062   fax://(770)449-7268