Re: How to Schedule Query Jobs?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/08/13

A copy of this was sent to James Arvigo <Hooper_X_at_Spam_Rage.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:10:09 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to find out how one would setup time-scheduled queries that
>get run against a database on an interval basis. For example, a query
>that gets run every hour, on the hour, calculates some statistics
>against the most recent data, then saves the calculations to a summary
>table or generates a report.
>
>Can anyone give me input on this?
>Our system is Oracle 8.0.4 running on SUN Solaris 2.6.

have you looked at SNAPSHOTS? They do exactly this -- if you need to create summary tables, a snapshot might be the easiest answer.

If you need to procedurally process the results using pl/sql first, dbms_job might be the right answer.

>I have a situation where I need to analyze our data and generate
>statistical analysis information every minute, every hour, every day,
>and every month. Am not sure what "chron job" type of methodology is
>already provided for by Oracle to handle this need.
>
>I suppose I could write a chron job in UNIX that would run an SQL script
>at timed intervals... but isn't there a more Oracle inherent way to do
>this?
>
>Thanks in advance for any input or advice,

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Aug 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT