Re: Updating a large table (Recursively?)

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 14 Aug 1998 02:52:25 GMT

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 00:03:13 GMT, staylor_at_petrolsoft.com wrote:

> So, my questions is this: What would be the simplest way to do this? We
>decided that inserting and deleting rows is not an option. It has to be done
>with UPDATE.

I probably don't want to know why<g>. Have you thought of this:

Say you have 15 rows, and you need to "delete" number 5.

--Temporarily move row 5 past the end.
update your_table

        set ordindex = 16
  where ordindex = 5;

--Now ripple everything done one row. Your unused row 5 --will now be #15.
update your_table

        set ordindex = ordindex -1
  where ordindex > 5;

update your_table

        set numorders = 14;

Will that work? On the surface, it seems that it would.

Jonathan Received on Thu Aug 13 1998 - 21:52:25 CDT