HELP!! Po8 and Developer 2000 2.0 compatibility

From: TuoiHong21 <tuoihong21_at_aol.com>
Date: 14 Aug 1998 00:17:59 GMT

I downloaded the Personal Oracle 8 and Developer 2000 hoping to use them together and got the instructions (see INSTRUCTIONS below) from web-sup to install them so that they can work together. I followed the instructions and actually worked on Dev. 2000 Form Builder using Po8 database for several days. Now all of a sudden I can no longer start the listener (step 5 below) and I get the following message:

LSNRCTL> start
Starting tnslsnr80: please wait...

TNSLSNR80 for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.3.0.0 - Production System parameter file is C:\ORAWIN95\net80\admin\listener.ora Log messages written to C:\ORAWIN95\net80\log\listener.log Trace information written to C:\ORAWIN95\net80\trace\listener.trc Attempted to listen on:
(DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=20)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(Host=tuoi hong)(Port=1521)))

TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist    32-bit Windows Error: 1002: Unknown system error

please help if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this problem because I cant connect to Po8 without starting the listener. It will give me ORA: 12203. Very Urgent! Help would truely be appreciated.

p.s. if it's not too much trouble, personal reply is great tuoihong21_at_aol.com

INSTRUCTIONS:
To set up a connection from Developer/2000 2.x to an Oracle8 database you must
follow the setup steps below:

  1. Install Oracle8
  2. Install Developer/2000 version 2.x
  3. Re-install the Oracle Installer & SQL*Net 2.3.3.0.1
  4. Re-install the Oracle installer from the Oracle8 distribution media (i.e. downloaded files or CD).
  5. REMOVE SQL*Net 2.3.4.0.0 and the SQL*Net Adaptors 2.3.4.0.0
  6. Install SQL*Net 2.3.3.0.1 and the SQL*Net TCP/IP Adaptor
                2.3.3.0.1 from the Oracle8 distribution media.

 Please Note: You will need to make sure you have the TCP/IP protocol adaptor
installed and configured with a valid IP address for your Operating system before continuing. If you are not connect to a network set your IP address to
be obtained automatically. If you do not know how to configure TCP/IP please
check with your network administrator or contact Microsoft for assistance.

4. Configure a SQL*Net ALIAS for your Oracle8 database

  1. START -> PROGRAMS -> ORACLE FOR WINDOWS95(NT) -> SQL*Net EASY
           Configuration.
        b.  ADD a database ALIAS.
        c.  Name the Database ALIAS anything you would like.
        d.  Select TCP/IP as your protocol Adaptor.
        e.  Enter 'localhost' for the TCP/IP Host name.
        f.  The database Instance will be the same as the database SID, which
is
                ORCL if you are using the default database installed with
Oracle8.

 5. Start the listener.

  1. go to a DOS command prompt.
  2. type: lsnrctl80
  3. at the lsnrct prompt type: start
  4. Start up the database
  5. START -> PROGRAMS -> Oracle8 for NT/95 -> Start Database
  6. Start up Developer
  7. START -> PROGRAMS -> Developer 2000 r2.x -> Forms Builder
  8. Connecting to the database from Forms Builder
  9. FILE -> CONNECT
  10. username -> system
  11. Password -> manager
  12. Connect String -> (enter in the database ALIAS name that you created in step 4c)