Re: Table Spaces

From: <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:07:59 GMT

In article <35d2c589.29373506_at_usenet.pitt.edu>,   brun_at_msx.upmc.edu (John) wrote:
> Maybe I should not be here as I am not an Oracle DBA but I do have a
> general question I would like to ask in regards to Table Spaces.
>
> We have an application that, at installation, runs a script that
> creates approx 13 different table spaces. The DBA then goes back and
> removes all but two of them saying that they really have no effect
> upon performance.
>
> As I said, as I am not an Oracle DBA, I am hesitant to ask him about
> this but somehow it does not sound right?

It does matter, especially for the I/O performance. You can spread out the tablespaces on different drives and then put the tables into the tablespace. You maynot want to put those tables which are being hit all the time in the same tablespace. Ask your DBA to run the utlbstat and utlestat to check the I/O performance on all the tablespace to decide whether you guys should have more tablespace.

In addition, you need a tablespace just for the rollback segment. If you put the rollback segments with your tables together. You can never take that particular tablespace offline.

Also, Oracle need at least the system tablespace to run. That mean you only left one tablespace to add the data, index, rollback, temporary and so on, which is very unhealthy.

Do remember to change the temporary tablespace for all the user to a temporary tablespace (definitely not system)

btw, you may also want to separate the table and their indexes into different tablespace.

For your information,
Oracle recommends at least the following tablespace: system
rbs
users
temp
(tools)