Re: LOOKING FOR A NEW CAREER

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:24:51 +0100

I disagree with all of that...

MS Access is even easier to install than SQL Server, but that doesn't mean it's an even better place to start, does it.

Sure, Oracle is complex, then so is flying a 757 - and you wouldn't expect to be up and running (flying) in one of those in 3 days. If it took you that long to install, then you clearly didn't know what you were doing, so you should have got trained up first, or brought in a consultant to help you. I shudder to think what the state of you database is if you needed 3 days just to get through the install...

As regards docs., Oracle is probably the best documented of the lot, and the number of additional books you can buy is far higher than most other RDBMS's.

And as regards the bug's (etc.), we run 3/4 TB of Oracle databases 24 hours a day on UNIX and NT. I wouldn't call that a buggy system. Sure, Oracle isn't *perfect*, but then nothing is.

MotoX.

DET wrote in message <6qsou3$eth_at_netaxs.com>...
>Hm. Oracle is a good long-term choice, but if you don't have any experience
>with SQL dbms's at all, you may want to start with something simpler.
Oracle