rebuilding indexes for partitioned tables...

From: oracle <oracle8_at_nettwerk.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:31:23 -0700

Hi there-

In order to rebuild an index created on a "normal" or unpartitioned table, the

    SQL> alter index foo_index rebuild; command will rebuilt the index.

If foo_index is a partitioned index, it will generate the following error:

    ORA-14086: a partitioned index may not be rebuilt as a whole.

It seems to me (and I plead complete ignorance!) that it would make sense for the rebuild to work on both partitioned and unpartitioned indexes.

Does anyone know why this is?

Not life-threatening or anything, just curious...

...jeff Received on Wed Aug 12 1998 - 17:31:23 CDT