Re: LOOKING FOR A NEW CAREER

From: DET <none_at_i_hate_spammers.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:06:12 -0700

Hm. Oracle is a good long-term choice, but if you don't have any experience with SQL dbms's at all, you may want to start with something simpler. Oracle is very complex, not well documented, and although the dbms itself is quite solid, installation and support programs are quite buggy in my experience (probably in part because of the number of platforms they support). My first install of Oracle took 3 days and many calls to tech support. My first install of SQL Server took 1/2 hour. My advice: learn the basic concepts on SQL Server, then go to Oracle.