Tablespace Header Blocks??

From: <stuco_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:39:38 GMT

Let's say I have created a tablespace that is 1GB in one data file. Without creating any tables, 1 block is already allocated for something.....

So my real tablespace size is 1GB minus 4K. I have an initial extent of 100MB and a next extent of 100M. Oracle is allocating the next extent 4k below an even Megabyte. So at the end of my tablespace I have 100MB minus 4k that the system cannot use.

I already know that I have cheated myself out of this space, but what is this initial block allocated for?? ...AND... What is the best way to ensure that every block can be utilized.

Thanks for your help - again!

Stuart Cowen
Paladin Consulting - Dallas\