Re: Difference between Redo Log Buffer & Rollback Segment?

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:30:51 GMT

A rollback segment is your UNDO helper. It saves all your work upto the point that you commit. IF you wish to undo your work, you simply issue a rollback statement.

If you commit, the changes that you made to the database,then these changes are sent to the Redo Log Buffer (which is really a transaction log buffer.) It store up all the transactions that take place against the database. The reason the word "Redo" is used, is because you can use the Redo Log Buffer to "Re-Do" (or Re-apply) all those transactions to the database when you are restoring it.

Hope this helps,
-Frank