remote connection problems

From: Ken Ankele <ankele_at_flash.net>
Date: 12 Aug 1998 11:55:23 GMT

I am just starting to use Oracle8. I have downloaded the trial version and installed it on an NT 4.0 server. I performed that standard installation which created the default ORCL instance. I can connect to the database and run sql with no problems (From the NT Server). I am now trying to connect from a win95 station. On the NT Server where the instance resides, I ran net 8 easy config with the following settings

     Service Name:  test1
     Protocol: TCP/IP
     Host Name: instatdb
     Port: 1521
     Database SID: ORCL

The test through easy config was successful.

On the win95 station, I installed the Oracle8 Client utilities, then ran Net 8 easy config with the following settings:

     Service Name:  test2
     Protocol: TCP/IP
     Host Name: instatdb
     Port: 1521
     Database SID: ORCL

The test through easy config was UNsuccessful. The following message was displayed:

     Test did not succeed
     Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-21822

I ran the tns80ping program from the win95 station and it connected to the listener on the server fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Ankele
kena_at_dri.com Received on Wed Aug 12 1998 - 06:55:23 CDT