Re: unique password for UNIX login AND oracle

From: <oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:41:22 GMT

In article <01bdc520$ece507e0$a07015a5_at_pc160>,   "simbl" <simblit_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabriele,
>
> You can identify the user's password in Oracle as external.
>
> >alter user Gabriele identified externally;
>
> This identifies your Oracle login using the UNIX password, but this is
> controlled at the UNIX level and not inside the database. This might pose
> as a security issue, if that is a concern. Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Cynthia

Hi,

for this to work properly the username should have been created in the following way ( without taking account of tablespaces and quotas )

Create user OPS$Gabriele identified externally;

OPS$ is the prefix referenced by the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX parameter, it might be something different on your system.

Regards

--
Oliver Willandsen - European Commission http://europa.eu.int
All remarks are my own and do not necessarily coincide with official European Commission policy