Re: Different backup procedure.

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:31:36 -0500

If you have lost everything, including the control files, you need to use: 'RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE;' Then Oracle knows that the stop SCN's recorded in the restored control file is not
valid and it keeps applying redo logs until you reply CANCEL.

You don't cancel until it applies all available logs.

If the un-archived redo logs were also lost, then the last archived log is as far as you can go; you lose whatever transactions were in the lost log(s).

If the un-archived redo logs are still available, these will be applied after the archived logs and no transactions will be lost. This why you need to mirror the on-line redo logs.