Bringing up a database sans certain datafiles

From: <joes_at_access.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:35:23 GMT

Hi -

I'm in a situation and looking for feedback. Assume this is a large database (~500gb) with many different tablespaces. The data in each tablespace is independent of the other tablespaces (ie - there are no views defined that depend on data from multiple tablespaces, etc).

This entire database is on tape and needs to be restored in order to get a very small subset of the data out. I can identify exactly which tablespaces I need to restore and all the related datafiles to get that small subset.

Oracle 7.2.2.3, Solaris 2.5.1

Not wanting to restore every single file for many reasons...would the following work:

Restore SYSTEM, ROLLBACK, TEMP and all the other datafiles associated with the tablespaces I care about.

% svrmgrl

SVRMGRL> connect internal
SVRMGRL> startup mount
SVRMGRL> alter database datafile '/full/path/to/file' offline drop;
<repeat above step for every non-restored file> SVRMGRL> alter database open;

Once I get the desired data out, I will just delete all the files. Again, this is not a production database. I'm just trying to cut down on the restore time and disk space requirements. BTW, this works for a very small database I tested it on.

Opnions? Caveats? Flames?

Feel free to reply to the group or backchannel. I will summarize backchannel responses.

thanks,
joe