Re: Oracle Parallel Server Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 21:09:21 GMT

This may be platform and version specific, but if you omit the TEMP and RBS files from the gc_files_to_locks completely, then they will be lumped in with the rest of the 'other files using bucket zero', if you set a file to '0' locks then (assuming a valid platform) oracle attempts to apply dynamically allocated locking.

The optimum strategy is to allocate a single lock across all the TEMP and RBS files, eg.:

        "12,13-24,40,41=1"

For the data files, you could consider using the 'granularity' feature of gc_files_to_locks. My favourite setup is to set a granularity that matches the default exent size of the tablespace, and ensure that all extents in that tablespace are the same size -

	e.g. if extent size is 120 blocks in file 54 then
		"53=25!120"

Esme Venter <esmev_at_medscheme.co.za> wrote in article <6q6jqt$h13$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...
> Hi
> We run OPS on twelve nodes for our Datawarehouse. Data in a few
large
> tables get updated twice monthly.
> All related indexes are dropped prior to inserts/updates and
recreated
> afterwards.
> I need some help to make sure that I have set my GC_FILES_TO_LOCKS
parameter
> correctly.
>
> Currently I have set it as follows :
>
> For SYSTEM datafile : 500
> For ROLLBACK datafiles : 500 ( 12 datafiles which is one
datafile
> containing private rolback segments for EACH of the twelve nodes.)
> For TEMPTS1 : 100 (10 datafiles)
> For TEMPTS2 : 100 (10 datafiles)
>
> GC_DB_LOCKS = 4001 (So all the other datafiles share the remaining
2801
> locks.)
>
> Firstly, The OPS manual suggests that no PCM locks should be
assigned to
> files which only hold ROLLBACK SEGMENTS or TEMPORARY data.
>
> Question: Does this mean I have to omit the datafiles belonging to
ROLLBACK