Multiple data files set to autoextend

From: Eric M. Boyd <boyd_at_crack.interdim.com>
Date: 9 Aug 1998 16:45:32 GMT

Hi,

I'm running a database that needs to span 14 4G disks. I initially set up the DB with 14 data files, one per disk that was 100M, and not autoextending. I knew I would have to reorganize the DB, but this was mostly for testing purposes.

Later I then added an additional 14 data files. These were set to be 500M each, and autoextend by 100M at a time. This worked for a while, but now my applications are seeing this error:

ORA-01691: unable to extend lob segment TAB.SYS_LOB0000002339C00002$ by 1049868   in tablespace TABTS_A

But when I do a select to see how much free space is available:

SELECT

        dba_data_files.file_id AS file_id,
        dba_data_files.file_name AS file_name,
        dba_data_files.bytes AS total,
        dba_free_space.bytes AS free
        FROM dba_data_files , dba_free_space
        WHERE
                dba_data_files.file_id = dba_free_space.file_id
                AND dba_free_space.tablespace_name = 'TABTS_A'
        ;

I see that 1 file is 98% full, another 94% full, and 4 have 0 bytes of data in them at all.

I even tried adding another 2 GIG data file, but I'm still seeing these errors.

I'm able to insert some records, but probably 90% of my inserts are failing.

Eric Boyd
boyd_at_crack.interdim.com Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 11:45:32 CDT