How to specify multiple optimizer hints

From: Tim Romano <tim_at_ot.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 09:57:51 -0400

I've checked every reference to hand (The Complete Reference, The Black Book, Oracle PDF docs, the Oracle How To...) and cannot find a section on the syntax for specifying multiple compiler hints. The Hints sections I have found do not offer many examples and don't go into much detail on how to understand their representations of syntax. (e.g. sometimes it's hard to tell if [] are required or are merely a typographical convention used by the author to indicate a value to be supplied.) Since Oracle ignores invalid hints, according to the Complete Reference, well... even trial-and-error, that trusty friend, is not available. ;-)

I want to use nested loops and indicate also the index to be used in that operation. Are any of the following attempts correct, where CUSTOMER is the table name, CUST is the alias for that table in the SQL from-clause, and the index is named CUST_ZIP_IX?

A.
/*+ USE_NL(CUST) INDEX CUSTOMER(CUST_ZIP_IX) */
B.
/*+ USE_NL(CUST) INDEX(CUST_ZIP_IX) */
C.
/*+ USE_NL(CUST) INDEX(CUSTOMER[CUST_ZIP_IX]) */
Thanks for any help (or doc references), Tim Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 08:57:51 CDT