poor performance with 16 bit applications

From: Martin Dinser <m.dinser_at_msh.de>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 22:06:44 -0700

We have installed a Oracle 7.3.4 Database with Patch Level 2 on a Notebook ( IBM Thinkpad 760 CD) with 32 Mbyte Memory and Windows NT 3.51 with Service Pack 5. All works fine with 32 Bit Applications (in the network or on the local machine) or with 16 Bit Applications from other workstations in our Token Ring network. When we use 16 bit client software on the notebook (where the database is installed) the performance is very poor!! Although we know, that 32 Mbyte memory is not very much, we think it is not the only reason.The program tnsping for example needs about 30 seconds to respond that the connnection is ok (the connection is over TCP, it doesnt't matter whether the notebook is connected to our network or works in local mode). When we use tnsping from a workstation in the network to the same database on the notebook the response time is under 1 second!.
Has anybody some idea about the solution of the problem ? thanks for help

Martin Dinser Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 00:06:44 CDT