Re: Embedded CTRL-ENTER in Text File??

From: Adrian Hands <AHands_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:24:49 -0400

This ain't what you wann hear but...The other answer you got is correct.

\0x0d\0x0a = chr(13)||chr(10) = carriage return + line-feed (not control-enter)

what are you using to view your sybase output? look closely,
ms-dos/win systems use 0d 0a as the end-of-record mark, so, if your records contain 0d 0a, you're hosed because you can't tell an end-of-record from an embedded crlf.

If you're using a unix system: unix uses 0a (without 0d) as an end-of-record mark so you stand a better chance of making something logical out of your sybase dump.

You'll probably need to setup a perl, vb, or... program to clean-up your sybase data before loading it into oracle.

Sounds like your records lengths are variable...that's going to make it tough.
Are you're fields comma-delimited ? Are your alpha fields quoted ? If so, that'll make the job easier.

Can you alter your sybase dump routine to put some character at the start of your record for you to use
as a marker in determining which crlfs are end-of-record and which are embedded in your strings ?

Are these really huge files ? If not, you might want to write some PL/SQL on the oracle side to load the data using UTL_FILE and do your conversions there.

--
Adrian Hands
Raleigh, NC

panic: attempt to recv circular datagram in round socket! panic: stack pointer is read-only!