Verify the backup

From: Winnie Liu <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 08:48:20 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am not really a very UNIX person and I don't know a lot about UNIX. We are using 'dd' to backup our database (hot and cold backup). The reason that we use 'dd' command instead of 'tar' or 'cpio' is because we are using raw device on the AIX box (at least that is what the sys admin told me to use!
=>) I am wondering if there is any way for me to verify the backup when we
backup the files using 'dd' command without reading in all the files? I know Oracle provided something like "check sum" to verify the data block before the backup. But I don't really want to add any overhead on my database.

Thank you in advance!

Winnie Liu => Received on Sat Aug 08 1998 - 10:48:20 CDT