Re: Starting Database using Cron

From: <mjain_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 8 Aug 1998 05:02:41 GMT

The CRON job is not the solution in this scenario. You have to make use of INITTAB facility of your UNIX flavour to startup Oracle. The dbstart/dbshut scripts are the readymade scripts which should be kicked at the Unix Host startup and shutdown. You will have to make an entry into /etc/oratab ( or some other platform specific ) file and there you have to specify the ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, Y|N.

Y - if you want to start automatically this instance at

    bootup time.
N - if you do not want this instance to start automatically

    at bootup time.

Someone who is working on your platform can clearly give you the directions.

CRON job wont work because CRON jobs are specified to occur at fixed/seleced points in times. Generally OS startup and shutdown is not fixed in time. Moreover, OS shutdown is almost all cases manual process. So you need a solution which is event driven based on operating system bootup or shutdown.

This is just to clarify the concept behind CRON, and why it may not work for your requirements.

Hope this helps,
Manoj Jain
Certified Oracle DBA

On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:57:24 -0400, usb00335_at_interramp.com wrote:
> We are using Sun450 and Oracle 8.0.4, Sun Solaris 2.6. We are in process
> of buying
> a UPS for this machine. So in mean time we bring up the databae through
> Server Manager
> after we turn on the machine in the morning. I would appreciate if
> someone could help me
> in "Creating a Cron Job" to call a script which will call server
> manager. This way Oracle gets loaded as soon as the machine gets turn
> on or shutting a down when we want to turn
> off the machine. Thanks in advance.

  Posted using Reference.COM                  http://WWW.Reference.COM
  FREE Usenet and Mailing list archive, directory and clipping service