Re: installation time error!

From: jhy <jhy_at_earthling.net>
Date: 7 Aug 1998 22:24:59 GMT

I recently installed 8.0.4 on an NT workstation (NT 4.0, SP3) and used database assistant to create a new instance and database with no problems. I used the option where it created a BAT file and scripts that I ran manually (after examining them).

I've seen problems (with 7.3.x) where a system had ORACLE_SID defined as an environment variable in System Properties (Control Panel > System > Environment). This prevented the creation of a new instance and sounds very similar to what you are seeing.

If interested I can send you copies of my TNSNAMES.ORA or LISTENER.ORA. I am running both Oracle 7.3.3 and 8.0.4 on this system using multiple Oracle homes.