Re: PLS-00801: internal error [74402]

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:53:14 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "John Markham" <j_markham_at_hotmail.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 17:53:09 -0600, you wrote:

>I am trying to compile a server-side package and the following error message
>appears
>
>PLS-00801: internal error [74402]
>
>Does anybody know what it means?
>
>Yours,
>
>John Markham.

This helpful error message usually means that you are coding something like:

SQL> create or replace procedure foo( x in emp.ename )   2 as
  3 begin
  4 null;
  5 end;
  6 /

Warning: Procedure created with compilation errors.

SQL> show errors
Errors for PROCEDURE FOO:

LINE/COL ERROR

-------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
0/0      PLS-00801: internal error [74402]

Instead of:

SQL> create or replace procedure foo( x in emp.ename%TYPE )   2 as
  3 begin
  4 null;
  5 end;
  6 /

Procedure created.

See, on the first one we forgot to put %TYPE. In Oracle8, they fixed this misleading error message so that you would get:

SQL> create or replace procedure foo( x in emp.ename )   2 as
  3 begin
  4 null;
  5 end;
  6 /

Warning: Procedure created with compilation errors.

SQL> show errors
Errors for PROCEDURE FOO:

LINE/COL ERROR

0/0      PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated
1/1      PLS-00488: invalid variable declaration:  object 'EMP.ENAME' must
         be a type or subtype

instead of an internal error.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Aug 07 1998 - 15:53:14 CDT