Re: instances question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:52:23 +0200

Hi Lawrence,

As one instance monitors one database, you will have to create both instance and database.
Here's how:
copy the init<sid>.ora in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs to init<yournewsid>.ora (in the same dir). Make ABSOLUTELY sure you change the control_files parameter included in this file, or you will OVERWRITE the control files of your current instance.
Now add the sid to /etc/oratab or /var/opt/oracle/oratab (depends on Unix platform, there will be an oratab somewhere) Now write a create database statement in a sql script. The Create database statement is well documented, I will not repeat it here. Don't do it on the fly!!
Now startup svrmgrl
(make sure $ORACLE_SID is your new sid before you start server manager) and issue a connect internal
now spool <some filename>
and run your script
now run $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql

             $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql
             $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catexp.sql

and you should be up and running

Hth