Re: Monitor Index creation?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:33:53 +0200

Hi Gene,
Yes, there is, though it is a bit tricky and it may not work if you have a 'real' temporary tablespace (ie designated as temporary in a create or alter tablespace statement).
What you will see happen is
- a temporary segment will be created in your temporary tablespace. Here the sorting will take place. The size of the segment will grow until roughly 1.5 or 2 times the sum of the length of all keys - a second temporary segment will be created in the tablespace the index is going to. Actually this is the index, which will get it's proper segment name just before completion.

Tips:
- you may need to make sure your sort segment will actually fit in the temporary tablespace and is avoiding unnecessary segment creation. Make sure the default storage clause of the temporary tablespace is appropriate. You can't specify explicit storage parameters - As of Oracle 7.2 (?! or 3) there is an UNRECOVERABLE clause in the create index command. This will mean all changes due to the index creation are not reflected in the redo log file. You may be better of by recreating if it fails anyway.
- If you do use redo log make sure no frequent logfile switches occur. Check this out in the v$loghist table.

Hth
A (former) fellow victim of long running create index statements.

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
(postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl)