UNIX & Web Server Setup - HELP

From: <hty1_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 17:49:41 GMT

Hi

I have a question concerning heavy trafficed web sites on UNIX boxes.

Here is the situation.

Currently we have one UNIX machine that house CGI's (written in PERL), datas for members (each have their own directory and fileS) and backend Perl scripts
that runs every so often using crontab.

As the traffic increase this one UNIX box will soon can't handle the load. Two way I thought of handling this

  1. Get bigger faster more powerfull machines so everything (CGI, Perl scripts, web servers) will still be running on ONE machine
  2. Separate the datas with the web server/CGI's. Where 1 machine will house the user datas (directories/files) and the backend scripts and the other machine will house the CGI's and web servers. This way in the future as the load increases we can just add new web servers.

Machine 1: Web server and CGI's
Machine 2: Datas and backend scripts

Machine 1 will still have access to Machine 2 to update and get user data.

3) Switch to a Oracle/databse setup

I was thinking of going with 2) until we have 3) ready.

Now here are my questions.

  1. Will 2) work? The bottleneck I see is at the data server with too machine I/O's from the web servers. (We eventually want to move to a Oracle setup). Will using RAID-0 setup help. Will the I/Os from the web server swamp the data server. I just want to know if this setup is technically/architecturally sound to last for a while before we have the Oracle databse setup ready.
  2. Any other suggestions

Please your help is greatly appreciated.