Re: NT: Oracle 7.3.4 vs. Oracle 8.04

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:47:44 -0600

Allan Nelson wrote in message <35C4B24B.7BED3E8E_at_austin360.com>...
>nasof_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> The listener refuses to accept connections and can't be killed. The
loggin
>facilities don't show any connection activities. When observed in taskmgr
it is
>getting a lot of CPU activity. As for what I'm doing on the console,
I'm
>running the very necessary GUI's to administer the system and to find out
what
>is going on with them.

I had this happen to me on version 7.3.3.4(?) and I never found out why it happens or how to fix it. Oracle was no help at all. The worst part was that any existing connections were just fine. So Users are calling me saying "I Can't Connect" and I was connected fine so I thought it was the clients. I'm running around trying to figure out what's going on thinking it was on the client end before I finally tried creating a second session from my machine and failled. When I went through the logs I found an error in the NT Event log which I fixed. It had something to do with Oracle not being setup correctly for NT Performance monitor. I don't think they were related even though they happened at the same time. The only other thing I did was change the listener to full logging. Haven't seen the problem since then but I don't think I fixed it yet.

>As for running on the UNIX console, if it was a workstation, yes certainly,
>where else should I run GUI apps?
>In the case of a server, I usually configure those with ascii terminals
but
>yes, I run whatever I need to run from the console. Mostly admin commands.
The
>machines don't lock up.
>
>BTW, considering that NT is built so that it expects a single user per
machine
>and expects that user context on the system console where do you run things
like
>the disk admin tool, the user admin tool , and/or the taskmanager. If
there are
>command line equivelants, I would really like to know.
>
>Thanks
>Allan

I've never had problems running GUI apps on my Oracle/NT server. mind you I am a bit of a conservative and don't run any other apps on my Oracle Servers. I even back them up via the network so I don't even have backups running on it. ( I've never been really comfortable with NT. ) I Have heard that running some of the old 16-bit Oracle client tools on an NT/Oracle server could cause problems but I never encountered that problem myself.

cul8r
Rob Received on Fri Aug 07 1998 - 09:47:44 CDT